Sunday, June 24, 2012

Here Come The Bugs...

Here is a nice example of the first lesson in the Observing Insects unit.  For this assignment, students chose two different insects to draw from the observation of insect photos.  They arranged them into a composition of their choice, making sure the insects were the focus of the work.  I had them work on a 4 1/2" by 6" black paper.  They drew with a regular pencil first, and then added value and shading with a white colored pencil.  The high contrast really allowed the details of each insect to "pop"!  I emphasized that each one should have at least three values and students strived to capture sharp, accurate details.  We mounted the finished drawings on wallpaper scraps cut an inch larger than the drawings.


The picture looks slightly warped because I photographed it on a bulletin board.  You'll see that we ended up mounting the three different assignments on one larger background paper and the weight made the finished work bow on the sides.  Be sure to check out the upcoming lessons that made up each student's group of three!

Looks like they are enjoying hanging out in a cabbage patch, munch, munch, munch...


This one reminds me of beetles trying to cross the street and getting caught in the headlights of an oncoming car...

This student artist really captured the feathery textures of the moth featured here in this close-up!

We learned that centipedes are not actually insects. But, they still made for interesting subject matter, and this was art class, not science...So, I bent the rules a little on sticking to the theme!
This one is very well drawn and I especially love the attention to the tiniest details like the crackle pattern on the dragonfly's wings.  Beautiful work!

Thanks for viewing this lesson!  I am sure you will enjoy the next lesson in this unit just as much, and I look forward to your next visit to my blog! I would love to hear from you; just leave a comment by clicking on the link above!  


1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm having fun going through your wonderful blog! These bugs on black are terrific! They have a great glowing quality to them. What a nice idea to mount on wallpaper scraps.