Saturday, February 11, 2012

Final Landscape Lesson: Mixed- Media Cityscape!

Hey!  This isn't a landscape!  No it isn't, but it will make more sense when you see the next picture....
 Darren G. did a great job of using the found images of architecture to establish a sense of scale in this image. Just how big is that women, or may be the buildings are really tiny?  The color choices and the adjusted proportions of the woman's eyes add to the creepy and unusual theme of the image.  He did a great job cutting and adding the building so that she is grasping it.  I can't stop looking at this picture, but at the same time it is really scary and thought-provoking!
This is a fun example of the many ways that found images can be arranged to make a visually interesting collage .  The students had the option to use the paint in many experimental ways, and we can see that on this piece Kate L. made good use of splatter painting on her background!
This mixed- media collage is made with magazine images, photocopies, acrylic paint, oil pastels and  a generous serving of creativity!
So this lesson was the final lesson that i did with my First Semester students for 8th Grade Visual Art Class.  I asked the students to use any of the materials that were on the supply table, to be experimental and to show me one final burst of original ideas.  It was bittersweet because we all knew that this was the last time we would be working together.  This was the end and I was pleased with this unit.


Just to let you know,there was a third lesson in this unit and it was all about using watercolor paints and colored pencils to create a seascape.  I had the kids use a long strip of watercolor paper, 6 x 18 to set up the format for a wide view of the beach, horizon, dunes, seagrass, etc.  They came out great, but I could not figure out how to photograph them so that the whole image could be in the same photo!  Because of that, I have not included them in the blog posts, and it makes me a little sad, but since they couldn't fit properly I need to get over it. In the end, my students submitted a portfolio of four different landscapes, not the three I am featuring on the blog.





 

No comments: