|Casey's portrait of a frog used a variety of wet and dry media. The students were required to use at least four of the "recipes" from their color wheels when making their portraits. The other values could be invented on the spot as needed.|
Friday, December 30, 2011
Monday, December 26, 2011
Sunday, December 18, 2011
|A photo of Native American women taken by photographer Edward S. Curtis.|
Sunday, December 4, 2011
The fabrics are done! I hope you enjoy looking at samples of some of the great batik designs that my students created during this fun activity. We learned so much about the process of gel batik and I will definitely try this again during another semester.
|Samantha used a limited color palette to create a feeling of unity throughout her work. The large area of concentric circles seems to radiate toward the smaller ones. Maybe she was thinking about waves moving across the sand!|
|Vanessa was worried that she had too much going on in this composition: I think it has everything! Lots of variety, movement, repetition, color, pattern and fun!|
|Brian used circles and ovals in his composition. There is a tremendous amount of overlapping throughout the design. I really think it looks like an owl! Can you see it? The eyes are at the top and the blue concentric circles help the viewer to look right at them!|
|Leah used symmetry to divide up the space in her circle composition. I especially like the way she used different values of yellow in the background area. Good work!|
Thursday, December 1, 2011
So here is a summary of the first parts of the process of making our amazing batik fabrics. This lesson was a lot of fun, but it was also a lot of work for all of us. In the end, the pay off was BIG since everyone got to create a unique piece of fabric art. The kids were psyched to see the great results of their hard work. Soon I'll be sharing lots of pictures of the finished work!
The students worked from a pencil sketch of their best circle composition. They used the glue to freehand draw onto the white fabric. Some students were nervous about "messing up" but everyone soon realized that if they made a mistake the only option was to turn it into something else. In the end, there were no major catastrophes and everyone tried their best to concentrate on their work during this part of the process. It was important to remember that the glue would spread as it dried; lines couldn't be placed too close to each other or they would blend together.
|Drawing with gel glue takes concentration and a steady hand!|
|Katelyn painted her fabric with acrylic paints in different values of pink, orange and green.|
The glued dried in a couple of hours, so when the students came to class the next day the fabrics were ready for paint. We used Crayola Portfolio acrylic paints and we diluted them so that the paint was applied in a medium consistency. It was okay if some of the paint went on the dried glue, but I encouraged everyone not to paint right over the glue. Eventually we would need to scrub off the dried areas of glue to reveal the white fabric that was protected underneath. We all thought it would be easier to rinse if we didn't seal in the glue with a layer of acrylic paints.