Friday, December 30, 2011

Let's Get Cooking With Sepia Tone Recipes!

Casey's portrait of a frog used a variety of wet and dry media.  The students were required to use at least four of the "recipes" from their color wheels when making their portraits.  The other values could be invented on the spot as needed.
Armed with our awesome sepia tone color wheels we ventured into the theme of portraits for the next part of the unit.  I was very inspired by the work of several artists on the website "Etsy", which is an awesome place to view everything from original art to handmade jewelry. ( A link is in my "sites I like"to the right of this post.) I located several  examples of anthropomorphic art, which I shared with my students.
 Anthropomorphic art is when an object or an animal is given human qualities by the artist.  My brain was excited by the possibilities of "humanizing" the animals that would serve as the starting place for this lesson.  I gathered additional resources for the students to use including all sorts of books with animals as well as books with costumes and clothing from different periods in history.
The kids were relieved to hear that they would not be asked to draw people as their subject matter and even more interested when I explained that their animal portraits should be anthropomorphic. We discussed many popular characters who are anthropomorphic, including Spongebob, Scooby Doo and the teapot and candlestick from Beauty and the Beast.
 Students began by drawing three different sketches of three different animals and then "dressing" each one to add human qualities.  I saw everything from an alligator in a football jersey, a young chipmunk in a patterned sweater and a pig wearing a chef's hat and an apron that said, " kiss the cook".
During our discussion of portraits, I taught students about the three poses we would be using for this assignment:  Frontal, Profile and Three-Quarter.  We discussed the ways that the facial features would appear in each of the views, such as two eyes showing in a view from the front, one eye and the nose, (snout or beak) from the side in a profile view.  In the three-quarter view we would see one eye closer  to the viewer, as well as only portions of the mouth and the nose.  I used a stuffed animal of a horse to illustrate each view and this really seemed to help the students as well as give us all a little chuckle as I carried around the toy and angled its head in different ways. It was fun and educational and yes, I do have the best job in the world!


Matthew refers to his sepia color wheel recipes as he works on a portrait of an elephant wearing a sweater and a hat.

Can't wait to see our finished anthropomorphic portraits?  Good news because I'm still on Christmas Vacation so I'll be posting again really soon!


2 comments:

Runde's Room said...

WOW! I LOVE this (and the sepia colour wheel) - totally going to try this with my kiddies when we get back to school! Enjoy the rest of your holidays!

Jen
Runde's Room

one little deer said...

Thanks for the compliment, Jen. Also, I really appreciate that you found my blog and you enjoyed looking at my lessons... I need all the followers you can send my way! Happy New year. :)