Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Introduction to Succulent Plants

Nick R works on capturing the details from the plant specimens.

I have always been fascinated by a category of plants known as "succulents." These plants are great at storing water in their leaves and because of this, the shapes of the leaves are usually plump, thick and round.  These simple shapes provide excellent subject matter for student artists.  The forms are simplified, but when combined in groups, the resulting compositions can be very intriguing!
 Many of these plants are popular  and easy to find in local nurseries and home improvement stores. You may even have some of them in your home or garden.   Some common succulents include aloe plants, sedum and various cacti.        ( Yes,  the plural of cactus is cacti!)
I purchased ten different succulent plants that became the "models'" for our observational drawings.  I also gathered several books about succulents and printed color photos of container gardens.  The students explored these resources and each person handed in an index card with five facts that they learned about the plants.
After deciding which plants they wanted to draw, they carefully observed the specimens and drew two or more plants in a container of their own design.  It was important that each container have an ellipse.  An ellipse is a shape that looks like a skinny oval, and it works well to represent the opening of a pot.  Keep an eye out for ellipses as this lesson progresses.  I will post pictures of these beautiful drawings soon!






4 comments:

soccerchick said...

hey mrs. d! just wondering when u took these photos. cus i never see u take them during our class

one little deer said...

Hi!
Well sometimes you guys are working hard and you don't notice that I'm taking pictures! Other times I take pictures of the art after class when I can concentrate on taking a nice picture. Stay posted to see some pics of the succulent plant drawings soon!

Nick said...

Hey Mrs. DeSimone,
Last time I came in, these projects looked fabulous! I can't wait to see what's next! I'll be coming in soon because I have another project that I have been assigned to for Aldrich! I practically live their now!!! I always wondered how you got the pictures?!?! Interesting! I'm keeping my eye on you, I don't want any photos of me on this blog! I'll see you soon!
~nick~

Nick said...

Congrats on the big 4000 viewers btw! I'm still behind but your cheating!
~nick~