Saturday, October 2, 2010

Louise Nevelson








This is an assemblage sculpture created by a famous American sculptor named Louise Nevelson.  An assemblage is a sculpture made of arranged parts; it is kind of like a three-dimensional collage.  Nevelson's work has long been a favorite of mine, ever since I was a sculpture major at RIC which was long before I ever thought of being an art teacher!

Louise made her sculptures from recycled wood scraps such as old pieces of discarded furniture.  I thought that it would be interesting and challenging for my students to create a mixed-media paper collage in the style of Louise Nevelson's stacked assemblages.  The students were given art historical background information and various images of Nevelsons's sculptures.  We had a great discussion about her life and her art and then I went over the criteria for the assignment.

Read on to see how this lesson develops!

No comments: